Thursday, January 27, 2011

One SAUCY post...

No, not the saucy you're thinking of! I don't even know if the correct spelling is Saucey or saucy...but that's beside the point. The point of this post is that I LOVE food. A lot. I love to cook, go grocery shopping, prep, I like it all! I do not however enjoy chopping onions or doing the dishes! And all who know me well, know that my favorite food is salad, not just any salad, but a GOOD or unique salad. Good lettuce (preferably butter lettuce or baby spinach), good toppings (strong cheese, real bacon, smoked salmon, red onion, hard boiled eggs, etc.), and most importantly a good dressing. One thing I am learning that I can't stand is store bought dressing. I may be turning in to a food snob, I don't know. It is nice and convenient, but if you read the back carefully you'll find things like: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Guar gum, Xanthan Gum, modified food starch, all sorts of different preservatives, and sometimes even food coloring. Yes, food coloring. Who would've thought!
I had a friend (Paula) share a new dressing recipe with me last week and I was so excited to try something new, that I thought it would be fun to 'pay-it-forward' and share my latest 3 favorite salad dressings of the month (they tend to change frequently). So if you are like me and sick of the normal, everyday store shelf dressings, get ready to write these down...I know you'll enjoy them! Well, at least I hope so, I'm not making any promises.

I made all 3 of these this morning and it only took me about 30 minutes total. I always throw everything in the blender and it's quick and easy, with a quick and easy clean up. After you're done, you'll be glad to have 3 new kinds of dressing (all very different) in your fridge and they will last your family at least a week or two! Easy peasy. And keep in mind, you can easily adjust the amount of vinegar, oil or spices to your liking!

Cilantro Dressing ~ Compliments of my friend Paula
2-3 seeded jalepenos (depending on size)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 TB sour cream
1-2 green onions
2/3 cup olive oil - Add slowly to blender to emulsify - makes the dressing thicker
(I like the taste of a light olive oil for this dressing, the dark olive oil can be a little strong)
I waited to add the cilantro until last and turned the blender speed down a bit so that you can still see the Cilantro leaves a bit.

If you like Limes, you can also squeeze the juice of one lime in the dressing.


Poppy Seed Dressing~
1/2 cup sugar (or you can use less if you prefer)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup salad oil
2 tsp. poppy seeds (wait to add these until the end)

At low speed add first 5 ingredients. At medium speed slowly add oil until thickened. Add poppy seeds and stir!
This is the dressing my kids like most. Makes a great spinach salad with bacon, feta cheese, egg, red onions and croutons.

And last....but not least

Balsamic Dressing~
8 oz. olive oil
2 TB Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1 TB + 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper

Blend until it begins to thicken!


And there you have it....3 happy little bottles of dressing. Enjoy!



6 comments:

Rachel said...

after starting to read your post I was thinking you better be giving a recipe. I have never made my own, but I think you are right about the store bought kinds. Thanks for the recipes!!! I will someday try them.

Camille English said...

mmmm I'm gonna try 'em

Jeppsen's said...

I love these. Thanks for the recipes I think I'm going to give them a try.

Myk said...

That balsalmic looks yummy...how long do they keep?

Diana said...

Isn't Paula great? Love her. I feel like I haven't seen you in FOREVER. We really need to get together.

michelle said...

So, which was your favorite?