Thursday, September 15, 2011

Slow down little one...

I wish so badly that I had the power to slow the hands of time and be able to enjoy these moments of my children's lives a little longer before they so quickly pass by.  I do admit that each new phase in their lives is just as fun and exciting as the last, I just wish it didn't pass by so rapidly.  Why do you ask am I writing this now?  My baby is now in preschool (Pre-K) 3 days a week.  I know that this is a great thing and people just don't understand why this makes me sad, but it has been over 9 years now that I've had at least one child at home with me at all times during the day.  Tugging on my leg, asking to play, telling me they love me, wanting to watch a cartoon, or asking for snacks and lunch.  I have always wanted to be a mother, and I know I always will be, but as my kids grow they don't seem to need me as much.  I guess I like to be needed.  Maybe I should see a therapist about that!!!  They are gaining their own set of life skills and independence and I know this is a fabulous and necessary thing and I am so proud of all of them.  I guess I have learned to realize that all those times I said, "BE QUIET, IT'S ALWAYS SO NOISY AROUND HERE!!!" are the times I miss.  I never, ever thought I would say that!  When Olivia is gone and the boys are at school all day, it is so quiet and I don't like it!  I'm sure I'll grow to like it, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be more organized and have a clean house.  But probably not!  This quiet is so new to me and I miss the noise of children.  So, while she is away, I find myself not wanting to stay at home where it is quiet.  I want to be running errands (which, I might add is much easier and faster without little ones.  But I am always feeling like I'm forgetting something when it's just me at the store), or listening to my music, or watching TV just so it's not so quiet.  I was beginning to think that I was going nuts because EVERYONE I have talked to about this keeps telling me that they are jealous, that they can't wait to have some alone time, and that I should just enjoy it.  I guess it's time I start a new hobby.  Time to find a new passion.  Time to find something that will keep me occupied.  Not something that will keep me busy, I'm always extremely busy, but something that keeps my mind working.  So if any of you mom's have any ideas, send them my way!  Until I do find a new passion, I will be anxious to hear the NOISE that comes after 3:30 in the afternoon and lasts until 8:30 at night.  

Here are some pictures of my sweet little one on her first day of school.  She was EXTREMELY excited to start school.  She was so ready.  She is my social little butterfly and hasn't ever met anyone she doesn't like or call her friend.  I am so glad that she isn't shy.  I'm so glad she is anxious to go to school and to learn and be social.  I love driving to pick her up and see her playing on the playground with her friends.  I love to see my kids happy.  


This was her choice of backpack.  
I wanted her to choose the cute polka-dot one, but here again is an example of her independence. :)



She did however ask me if I could just "drop her off at the door because I know where my class is" on the first day of school.  Um....NO....I don't think so!  She also had to pick out her own outfit, not the special one I bought her for her first day of school.  She didn't want to wear purple, she wanted black and pink, and she didn't want to wear her cute mary jane shoes, she wanted her Vans.  Oh boy.  She is my little independent/stubborn one.  And I'm not sure if one day I will love this trait or hate it!  
We shall see.

 Her school is Very cool!  It was the old high-school in town (1931) so it has a gym, and old wood floors, I love it inside! 


Here is Olivia with her teacher, Mrs. Hunter.  She LOVES her! 

3 comments:

Diana said...

To be honest...I am one of those jealous moms. I know I will feel exactly the way you do when I get there, but for now I'm exhausted and find myself slightly jealous of those moms who have a few hours without children each day.

The Gilleys said...

Can't Believe She's in Preschool! GO LIV! Cute post Tiff! As always...

michelle said...

Tiffy, I feel for you because I know exactly what your heart is going through. Its tough. Love this posting. Olivia is a very unique individual. She's a doll!