Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dust yourself off and try again...

I wasn't planning on posting about this most recent child bike wreck, but KJ was looking thru our old blog book and found the pictures of his stitches from his fall a couple of years ago.  He told me he was glad I wrote about it and took pictures so that he could remember what had happened.  How quickly we tend to forget our 'owies'.  So, KJ, this is for you, so that one day you will remember that when you fall, you ALWAYS get up and try, try again.  :)

So, Dan and KJ went on their typical Friday after school run/bike ride.  (Dan runs while KJ rides)  Their plan was to ride over the the dirt bike track where Dan would run around the field while KJ rode.  KJ has tackled this track many, many times and he really loves to jump and race his new bike. 
Here's the track he loves.  

 Anyway, I started dinner and got a call from an unknown number.  I almost didn't answer, but did, and it was from a lady's cell phone at the track telling me to come and pick up KJ NOW, he wrecked his bike!  As a mother, I instantly went in to panic mode and thought the worst.  Gathered the kids, hopped in the car and drove over to the track.  (I did leave dinner cooking on the stove...oops!)  When I got there, KJ's handle bars were bent/turned around backwards, and he was sitting on the dirt ground with blood pouring off his chin (the face bleeds a LOT).  Poor guy.  He was really shaken up and was in shock.  We brought him home, checked him out (no broken bones or busted teeth) and had him sit in a warm bath.  After he was cleaned up he looked MUCH better, like a tough macho man!  He had a smoothie for dinner, and relaxed to Nacho Libre.  He was pretty bruised up, sore wrists, split/swollen lips, headache and sore/swollen nose, but 2 weeks later he's all back to normal.  His scabs just fell off a couple of days ago.  Just in time for our family pictures this weekend (which I had to postpone)!  

One quick and cute/sad story...later that night KJ told me that when he flipped over his handle bars he kind of blacked out and he could taste the blood that he was swallowing.  He said, "You know when people die, blood comes out of their mouths...When I was swallowing all that blood, I thought that meant I was dying."  Poor guy.  

Here is his face after being cleaned up.  It actually looked worse the next day.

He's one tough cookie.  He didn't complain once, except to tell me it hurt when his lip kept re-cracking during the week.  

After pictures this weekend, we plan to take him back.
"Cowboy Up".  Get back on the horse and keep riding. 

1 comment:

Diana said...

Those pictures make me want to cry! What a brave boy.