Monday, April 2, 2012

This little light of mine...

Has your life ever been touched by knowing someone with Autism?  Mine has.  Every. Single. Day.  It is the hardest challenge I've ever been faced with, yet somehow, it also brings my life endless amounts of blessings and joy.  Jack keeps me grounded, tests my patience, makes me see the world in a different light, makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me appreciate quirkiness, wears me out, and has completely and utterly captured my heart.  My whole heart.  I. Love. Him.  Just the way God made him.  He is my son, he's been through a lot in his short 6 years, and he continues to make great strides in life and that makes me one proud mama. 

Happy Autism Awareness Day!  Did you know that as of this month, statistics show that 1 in 88 children are diagnosed with Autism?  It is all around us.  If you haven't already done so, read up on the topic.  Be aware.  And be patient with people affected by Autism, it is not an easy road to travel.  
We did our part to spread awareness by putting up blue light bulbs for the Light It Up Blue event and giving all our employees blue lights for their homes.  We are all wearing blue ribbons and blue clothing!  Dan's office is also doing an Autism Speaks fundraiser for the month of April.  They are raising money for a great cause, a cause that is close to our hearts.  If they raise enough as an office, Dan is throwing a patient appreciation BBQ and the girls at work get to shave his head bald.  :)  
Let me know if you ever want to know more about this topic!  I love to chat about it!





“Autism, is part of my child, it's not everything he is. My child is so much more than a diagnosis.” 
               ― Sandra L Coelho


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So perfectly written! Made me cry! You are such a great mom! Love you Jack!

The Gilleys said...

Perfect Tiff. Good for you. I love it and I'm happy about all the stuff Dan is doing! Go Howards!

michelle said...

Now Im crying...thanks for sharing. I love you!