Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The beginning of the end...

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have been dreading this very day for over a year now.  I did not want my baby starting Kindergarten.  Once school starts, the time just flies by and before you know it I'll be sending my baby to college.  And if she's anything like I was, she'll never be moving back home!  I know, I know, I sound pretty dramatic...but this is how I honestly feel.  I do have to say that the day wasn't a 'sobbing-chocolate ice-cream eating-crazy psycho mom-drama queen-tissue using-lazy on the couch-soap opera watching-depressed' kind of day.  I kept very busy and maybe that's how I was able to keep my composure.  I even got the wood blinds dusted (my least favorite chore) and the patio power washed.  I might actually have a clean house all the time...but probably not.  


We live just a couple of blocks away from school this year, which is a HUGE bonus!  I walked all the kids to school and stayed strong, but the walk home was pretty lonely and sad.  Just seeing them walk thru those doors in a brand new school, with a bunch of strangers made me a nervous wreck.  I was SO happy when that bell rang at 3:45 and my babies all came out of their first day of school with smiles on their faces.  Phew....HUGE sigh of relief.  


KJ is NOT the kind of kid to wear his heart on his sleeve.  When asked how he's doing, he is always 'fine'.  I have to pry to get anything out of him.  But I could tell that he didn't have the best day ever.  He said it was hard not to have any friends to play with at recess but he promised that tomorrow he'll be brave and ask some kids to play.  He recognized a couple of friends from church at school and one kid in his class is also in the same Scout troop as him, so that was good.  He said everyone was really nice and I think he'll end up liking his teacher, they share a love for Harry Potter.  I still can't believe how grown up he is.  I had to force a few pictures out of him.  But he'll be glad one day that I'm a shutterbug, at least I hope he will.  I love my sweet, kind hearted, smart, thoughtful, compassionate, shy, little/big guy.  I know he'll have a fantastic year!  


My little Jackie boy had his best first day yet!  I was MOST worried about him this year.  New transitions can be rough for him, but today he just seemed to roll with the punches and he seemed to fit right in!  He ran out of school and the first thing he said was "Mom, I had a GREEN day!"  Yay for green days.  Jack already knows a few friends in his class and I think that was huge in him not being so anxious today.  His teacher seems exceptional and very organized which is good for Jack!  I have a good feeling about Jack and his progress this year.  I know he's ready to make some good friends.  I know once the kids get to know him, they will fall in love with his fun, unique, quirky, inquisitive personality. 



And last, but certainly not least is my best friend and princess Olivia!  She has been very excited and was VERY ready to be in school.  She's my social butterfly and didn't have once ounce of nervousness today.  It's a good thing too, because it helped me knowing that she was confident and anxious to start her schooling!  She already has a handful of 'best friends'.  This little girl is going places.  She's got that magnetic, sweet, just the right amount of spunk in her personality that draws everyone near to her.  She's never met anyone she doesn't like. 
As I walked her to school, she held my index finger.  And she counted 1...2...3... Every time she gets to three she gets to twirl around.  It's just something we've been doing for years now.  I realized at that moment that she'll always be my little girl.  She brings magic and innocence and girly-ness to my life. 
Before the bell rang she asked if we could do our secret handshake.  She was worried that I would be sad.  That's when I knew I had to show her my smile and wish her luck as she waved goodbye.  She was the one wanting me to be brave.  What a sweetheart.
And just look at her, she's stinkin' adorable.  I sure love my baby.  




Since we all survived we decided to go get pizza and ice cream to celebrate! 
Here's to a great 2012-2013 school year!  Watch out world, the Howard kids are ready to take over!

3 comments:

michelle said...

Three of the most adorable kids in the entire state of Idaho! Glad they had a good day.

Alex said...

so. i teared up just reading that. thanks!

How awesome to be able to walk to school! And the whole day to your self....what will you do???

The Gilleys said...

Ahhh! This is so sweet! Could Olivia's outfit be ANY cuter?? Can't wait to *hopefully* inherit that one soon!