Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th...

Do you remember where you were the moment you found out about the 9/11 attacks?   I do, I remember it as clear as if it happened last week.  Dan and I had just arrived at work and as soon as we walked in to open the office we saw the look on a couple of his employee's faces.  They asked if we had heard the news?  No...what news?  We rushed to turn on the TV's in the op's and I was stunned.  The second tower had just been hit.  
I sat there almost paralyzed.  I remember feeling so sad.  Overwhelming sadness.  How could this happen?  I couldn't even comprehend what was happening. We canceled our day and I sat in the office and watched the news all day.  The whole office was melancholy.
The only positive that came out of this horrific day was that our country was brought together.  We hugged our loved ones a little tighter.  We appreciated life.  We had more understanding and patience with each other.  We were all united in a way.  I still can't believe that 11 years have passed.  I was a newlywed.  My life has had so many ups and downs since that terrible day.  But every anniversary we go back to the moment we heard the news.  We pay tribute to those who lost their lives, those whose lives were forever changed, all of those heroes who served and continue to serve and protect our great country, many of them family members.  We are a blessed nation.  And even though my kids weren't even alive when this happened, I want them to know what happened.  This is an important part of our nation's history.  I want them to appreciate and respect these heroes.  
A good friend of mine from Oregon, Alex Candland, gathered a group of us together every Sept. 11th and we would go to the local fire department and police department and deliver goodies to these brave men and women.  


Last night she sent me a reminder text, which I was very grateful for!  :)  It is so satisfying to have the opportunity thank them for their service.  And we have kept up the tradition after all these years.  The kids love it.  I love that we can give back in a very small way.  

We will ALWAYS remember....we will NEVER forget.  



4 comments:

Alex said...

YAY!!! I am so glad you guys continue to do this. I wish everyone would.

I still cant believe that 11 years have gone by. I really take the time to count the blessings. I wish we were all still in that big united feeling everyday!

The Gilleys said...

Ohhhhhh! Those little faces from years ago are priceless! Good job Tiff!

Heidi said...

I love this Tiffy!

Heidi said...

I love this Tiffy!